New month – new healthy living goals!
1. No cabs – I waste a ton of money taking $10 cab rides everywhere, and since I have two feet, and a metro card, this needs to stop.
2. No eating out – We’ve been eating out SO much, that it doesn’t feel exciting any more. Adam and I are taking the month of October, and per the fiancé calling it “No Eat Out-tober” – we’ll be cooking (or semi-homemade-esque) cooking everything! Hopefully, this will help keep my choices healthier as well. Keep an eye out for some more tasty recipes!
3. Be more active! – I’m guilty of falling behind on my workouts. This past weekend I kicked it up a notch and started working out with one of my favorites (and the person who first kicked my butt in gear) Sean Wright. Gotta get my body back in peak condition!
4. Save more! Since we’re hosting (almost) our wedding by ourselves, we’ve been planning out how to reach our financial goals to plan our dream wedding. We’re making lots of little changes to keep our finances low
– Getting rid of cable. Writing/Reading will come first – and we’ll save some money along the way! No more couch potato Saturdays of NCIS marathons.
– Spending date night in, and watching Harry Potter movies. Adam just started the series, so we’ve been watching the movies as he finishes the books. We just watched Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets this Weekend!
– See goal number two.
Here’s to October! Bring on the fall!
I had to wear boots today (luckily, they were new boots that I got while at Last Chance in Arizona), and not sure how I feel about it. I love boots, in October, or November, but September is too early for fall to set in! We’re going to CT today to visit some great friends and watch a UConn football game – Can’t wait!
I have a very special guest post today from one of my favorite healthy living bloggers! Check out Kelly from eat-yourself-skinny.com, her recipes are AMAZING, and this one is no exception, try it out and let her know much you love it!
Hi friends! I’m Kelly from Eat Yourself Skinny and I’m SO excited to be guest posting for Shoshana’s fabulous blog while she’s out of town! Thank you so much for having me! I was lucky enough to have her guest post for me as well today and she made some delicious Spinach and Crab Stuffed Mushrooms that I know you are going to love and would make the perfect appetizer for any upcoming party. Not only are Shoshana’s recipes amazing and so delicious, her blog Shosh and the City is absolutely inspiring 🙂
Since summer is coming to an end (sigh…I know) I wanted to squeeze in one last recipe that just screamed flip flops and sunshine! I don’t know about you, but mojitos are probably one of my top favorite (and indulgent) cocktails during the summer and any dish that would accompany this awesomeness
My favorite part about this dish are the combination of flavors! You’ve got watermelon, honeydew, mint, lime, cilantro, red onion…shall I go on?? Yeah didn’t think so. You can serve this with any type of bread or chips of your choice and this would even go well with a chicken or pork dish! I chose to pair this salsa with lime flavored organic tortilla chips and they tasted amazing!
So I highly suggest you call an emergency happy hour, gather your friends and enjoy all this and more immediately! Hope you enjoy this fabulous salsa as much as I did!
Mojito Melon Salsa
Serving Size: 1 cup of salsa
Fat: 0 g
Carbs: 16 g
Fiber: 1.3 g
Protein: 1 g
Old Points: 1 pt
Points+: 2 pts
Here are your ingredients:
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is
1 cup chopped watermelon
1 cup chopped cantaloupe
1 cup chopped honeydew
1/2 large cucumber, seeded and chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
10-12 mint leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
2 limes, juiced
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and add lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and serve with any chips you’d like. Enjoy!
I have to say, my friends and family really, really went all out with our celebrations. The next morning, we met my parents for brunch at the Talking Stick Resort, and it was fabulous! Champagne toasts, fancy cheeses, and yummy salads (Yes, I’m that easy to please) – made for a great morning.
Remember how I mentioned that A had promised to let me know when he was going to propose, by hinting for me to get my nails done …. Well, he didn’t want to ruin the surprise (loose lips sink ships) and my nails were blank, so I met some of my favorite girls, Hayley and Carrie, to get them painted. The manicurist at the salon said that I should go with a French manicure because the color chose was too trashy – What do you think? I love it!
Love it! OPI - Girls Just Wanna Play!
From there, we headed to see the Fab Faux back at the Biltmore. Adam’s a musician in the city and knew some of the band members from other groups around the city – so we knew it would be a good time. But, really, doesn’t everyone love a good Beatles Cover band? We partied with my parents, Carrie, Hayley, and Hayley’s boyfriend (and also musician) Ryan. It was a blast! The show was so much fun! Hayley and I even rushed the stage (ha!) to dance a bit!
Obladai - Oblada - Life goes on - ooooh!
love these guys!
Sunday was jam packed with celebrating. My friends Colleen, Lindsey, Carrie, and their boys threw us a mini-engagement party. (They make things happen so quickly!) It was a blast! They got me bridal magazines (so intimidating!) and decorated with ring pops. Colleen made lots of healthy, and tasty treats. She’s an expert on that. My favorites were the carrot cake cupcakes (hand decorated with PINK rings!) made with canned pumpkin instead of oil and eggs. They were delish!
such a cute family!
finger sandwiches!health-i-fied carrot cake a la Colleen (with hand drawn rings!)
We were even able to grab a drink with my friend Abby (And former teacher, she was and still is a great mentor – So lucky to now call her a friend!)
I’m curious – Do wedding magazines intimidate anyone else? Or is it just me?